Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 5/5-5/9

Pages: 326 out of 326 (finished)
Prompt Test Readiness: Explain what kind of reader would like this book the most


         Introduction to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 

   I learned over the weekend that this book won many awards and it was so good they made a movie out of the book. The book has to do with the tragic story of a young boy trying to overcome his grief over the death of his father. Oskar's dad worked at jewelry store even though he hated jewelry and he was always running off to important meetings. On a bright sunny day Oskar later learns that his dad just died in the terrorist attacks of 9/11. In my opinion I think that the book title is trying to tell us that the attacks were extremely loud and Oskar was incredibly close to his father. Oskar find no more meaning in his life so one early morning he decides to look through his father's stuff. He finds an envelope saying "Black" and inside there is a mysterious key. This is the beginning of Oskar's journey as he goes around the six boroughs of New York to meet every single person with the last name Black. He finds out that it will take him approximately 1 year and half to find the lock for that key.

             The Audience of this Book

  In my perspective I really liked this book because it shows me how the families of 9/11 felt when they lost their loved ones. I feel like this book would be very good for people that live in New York because of the 9/11 attack. The book basically has to do with Oskar trying to find the lock for his father's key which leads to a fantastic journey like no other. Since the book is very mysterious it can be good for readers that like a good mystery or that love suspense in a book. I think the typical reader for this great book would be a person that likes suspense but also sadness in a book. I enjoy this book because it connects strangers with more strangers. I really think that it is amazing how weird strangers and a 9-year old boy connect just like a herd of elephants. The middle of the book is very peaceful because during that time it seems that everybody in New York gets along with each other. The reader might want to enjoy a peaceful book by reading the middle of the book.

             The Genres in this Book connect People.

  When I started reading this book I thought that this book would only include one genre to spice up the book. I realized when I was towards the end of the book that there were dozens of genres in the spirit of the book. When I start to imagine the reader of this book I visualize a typical New Yorker that lost a loved one in the terrorist attacks of 9/11. I imagine the reader crying while reading this book but also happy to enjoy that there is other people that can relate to the book.  Since I was the reader I liked this book a lot because I was able to put myself in Oskar's shoes. I can just imagine Oskar's face when he learned that his father died in the Twin Towers. The book can simply for people that have a hard time overcoming a death. For example I was still sad about a death of a loved one which gave me courage to read this book. The book is very inspiration because we learn about a boy that is still able to enjoy life even after the death of a loved one.

This is a picture of the hands of Thomas Schell Sr. the grandfather of Oskar Schell. Thomas is a big character in this book mostly because he abandoned Oskar's grandmother before he was born. His grandfather was known as the renter but later in the book Oskar discovers that he is his grandfather. These hands are the hand of Thomas he uses this to communicate with people because he is unable to talk.

This week I will comment on Marisa, Gianna, Nikolas's Blogs.


 

1 comment:

  1. I love how much interpertation you put in your blog posts! That's why I enjoy reading your blog. I've heard this title many times but I never realized what it was about. This seems like an interesting book because it is a fictional (the story of Oskar is fictional right?) story of a family who was involved in the tragedy of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete