Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tuesdays with Morrie Week of 4/27-5/1

Prompt: Based on the 6 Tuesdays you have read about in Tuesdays with Morrie, choose which topic (The World, Feeling Sorry For Yourself, Regrets, Death, Family, or Emotions) that has had the most impact on you or inspired you. On your blog discuss the importance of this topic with your own opinions, including textual evidence (direct quotes) from the book.

Pages: 115 out of 192


                                                    Which Tuesday Inspired Me?

   In my opinion every single Tuesday chapter we have read in class has truly inspired me based on the detailed discussions given by Morrie. I would say that the first Tuesday We Talk About the World explains how we should be informed about the world around us even in the most difficult situations like with Mr. Schwartz.  I think that the main detail that inspired was Morrie's attitude towards recent news and his gratefulness for the things he has compared to other people around the world. I also noticed that he reads news articles relating to homeless people or starving children instead of celebrity gossip like O. J Simpson. I myself find this inspiring especially in Morrie's times because of many other articles like the end of the Cold War, Princess Diana, and the O.J Simpson trial attract the attention of people around the world. This chapter of the novel had a huge impact on me and the news articles I choose for my Article of the Week. I do choose significant topics for my homework assignment, but I focus too much on attacks made by ISIS. In the future I will try to pick articles that pass the recommendation made by the professor.



The Importance of the World


   Morrie mentions to his good friend Mitch that he feels closer to people in the news in which he is able to compare his adversities with the suffering of people around the world. We can tell this topic is important because it brings people together even if they are thousands and thousands of miles away like in Bosnia. There is one memorable quote in this chapter in which he says "now that I'm suffering, I feel closer to people who suffer than I ever did before. The other night, on TV, I saw people in Bosnia running across the street, getting fired upon, killed, innocent victims...and I just started to cry. I feel their anguish as if it were my own." This takes caring and kindness to a new level because even in his situation he still willing to grab the anguish of a stranger as his own most notably the people of another county like Bosnia. In our everyday lives we don't seem to realize that some people have it worse than us and Morrie seems to take this to a new level of consideration which impacts people like Mitch.


Evidence Proving Morrie's Philosophy


    I think that we should learn at least one thing about the numerous aphorisms that Morrie gives Mitch in this lesson. I learned that it takes a big equalizer for strangers to actually shed a tear for a complete stranger like the people in Bosnia. Mitch mentions "the one big thing that can finally make strangers shed a tear for one another." This makes the topic even more important because it makes us think about our feelings towards other people specifically strangers in different locations around the world. Morrie not only mentions that we must care for others, but also give out love to people instead of sleepwalking like Mitch. He says "the most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in...Let it come in. We think we don't deserve love, we think if we let it in we'll become too soft...Love is the only rational act" quoted from Levine and Morrie. I think that he is trying to tell the reader that if we give out love than we can avoid war and love will help us progress in life for people around the world. 




 The image above shows the logo for "Tuesdays with Morrie" The Play, but the viewer can clearly see the happiness within Morrie. I think this picture sums up the philosophy of Morrie Schwartz in which he is trying to express his happiness because he was able to give out love to people like Mitch. He is representing how people can be more happy if they gave out kindness and love instead of hatred/bullying. We gain more by giving out love and in fact we make a more positive impact on people's lives like Morrie did to Mitch. 


This week I will comment on Athziry, Autumn, and Diego's Blogs.

                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment